Monday, September 15, 2014

My Thyroid and Weight

I've been struggling with my weight and have a feeling that my thyroid may be contributing to my serious lack of energy. Besides the issues that a thyroid problem can have on conceiving, my main concern right now is getting my energy back and feeling like myself.

I haven't ran in months. My diet hasn't changed, but the inactivity has allowed my weight to creep up from 145 lbs to 157 within a matter of 2 months. Needless to say, my clothes are a bit tighter!

I don't have the energy once I'm home to even cook.

Most days I struggle to get out of bed by 7 am (to get to work between 8-8:30).

I'm always cold. Even with 90+ degree weather outside, I will always have a scarf or pullover nearby. My space heater at work has been running since March.

So I brought my concerns about fatigue and cold (along with my TTC concerns to my NP). After testing in March, April, and just a couple weeks ago, I am finally on low dose Synthroid to treat hypothyroidism. My TSH readings have been 4.8, 3.8, and 4.4, respectively. One was higher than "normal" while the last two were at the upper range of normal, according to the lab reference values. Interestingly enough, with my PhD and medical research background, I was able to find out that the reference values for Black persons in the US are much lower than the reference range of 4.5. In fact for Blacks, the 95th percentile of normal was 3.2. So if we were to go by that upper limit, I would be well over normal and solidly in the subclinical hypothyroid category (note: overt hyperthyroidism is anything 10 or over).

So I'm on Synthroid and hoping things get better.

In the meantime, I'm looking for new workout options. Things that I can do despite the energy deficit. I'm back walking (not running, although I miss it). And I'm looking into doing PiYo (a combination of pilates and yoga). A high school friend is a Beachbody coach, and it's all done at home, so it looks interesting to me. I'd love to get back in the 140-145 lbs range. Heck... anything below 145 will make me happier and my clothes fit better. Winter is a good time as any to get a jumpstart on weight loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment