Saturday, March 15, 2014

Results

I got a call from my NP yesterday as a follow up to last week's appointment.

My TSH was high.

So we're retesting in a few weeks, at which time, we will decide if to treat. Since we didn't do T4 as well, I will need to get that done as well. I'm a little sad but not surprised. My mom, her sisters, and my paternal grandmother all have hypothyroidism. My maternal grandmother once had a goiter. So it makes sense that eventually I would have to take thyroxine.

Years ago I thought it was possible that I was sub clinical. But subsequent readings were normal. Just under 3. This time however the level was 4.8. For a normal person, the new thyroid guidelines state it should be no higher than 3. And if I were pregnant the value would need to be between 1 and 2.

So it's likely that I'll go on medication soon. And be on it for the rest of my life. The risks of miscarriage or preterm labor are too high with an under active thyroid. There's also potential neural affects on any fetus during the first trimester. This is important.

It also may explain why I've felt increased feelings of depression and fatigue. It definitely hasn't helped my weight gain. It doesn't explain all the issues I've been having, particularly the anxiety, but I'm eager to see what impact an increase thyroxine has on my metabolism and energy levels.

The good news is that everything else was fine, including my cholesterol levels.

In other news, my recent purchase of a Nutribullet has prompted me to make green smoothies each morning. I'm really enjoying it. I feel better, and I was able to drop some extra lbs this week. I'm largely using organic produce. Various combinations of fruits and veggies. Kale, beets, carrots, bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemon, kiwi, oranges, ginger. Almond milk and Greek yogurt for creaminess. Chia seeds for extra omega 3. Oats for extra protein.

I also went to the introductory class for Crossfit this morning. Man, did it kick my butt! I'm still feeling the effects, but I think I'm going to join in the coming weeks - once I return from Spain and DC (upcoming work trips). I'm hoping to do CF twice a week, swim once a week, and yoga once a week on Sundays. For running,  I will largely keep it to once or twice a week as I feel like it. More than likely it will be no more than twice a week. I'm really burned out from running. I miss it but it doesn't interest me much right now. I'm hoping to get back into it this Spring, but I'm playing it by ear.

Either way, my goal is to lose weight and tone up. I want to look great for my 32nd birthday and my 10th college reunion...and trying to conceive. Being healthy before a baby is really important to me, which means getting my weight back in the 130-140 lbs range and keeping it there!

I'm currently at 148 and a size 6 in pants, but a 10 in dresses due to my breast size. I really want to go down a bra size. 36DDs over here! I can't imagine what a pregnancy will do to my weight and bra size, so getting it down prior to is important to me. I'd love to be a 34D again.

Well, that's about all I have for tonight. I'm a bit tired for once. It's getting late, and I have church in the morning. I also still have some unfinished work to of for a presentation I have at work on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment