18.
That’s how many of my friends (so far) will have babies in
2014. The newest announcement came from one of my good friends. She already has
two beautiful girls, and I love their family. But when she texted me to “check
Facebook” for the announcement, I admit that I was a little sad. I’m thrilled
that she and her husband are adding to their family (and not-so-secretly hoping
they have a boy). But she will be NUMBER 18 of my friends or acquaintances that
has announced on Facebook that they’re having a baby in 2014. Three friends
have already delivered (2 boys and 1 girl), so that leaves 15 to go!
I’m sad for me because that little part of me is wondering
when my turn is coming. I know that I’m not quite ready for motherhood or the
significant financial commitment that having a child requires. There’s not just
the TTC part, but there’s also the childcare, food, soccer practices, dance
recitals, prom, and eventually college that comes with a little mini-me (or two
mini-me’s). Because I will be the sole provider, I have to think about these
things now. Probably more than a couple with the promise of dual-income would
have to think about this. Can I afford the insurance? Can I afford childcare –
day care and babysitters? What if I have to go out of the country for work? What
about summer camp? What if they aren’t always healthy? What if I get sick? What
if I die prematurely? Do I have enough life insurance? Guardians? Stable
employment? A reliable vehicle? Enough savings?
So until I’m ready, I will guard my heart on Facebook. My
time likely won’t come until later this year or even next year, depending on my
finances and ability to clear significant debt. I also need more savings
(newish car purchase, TTC budget, peace of mind). All good things to be doing
whether I have a baby or not. But until then, I wait.
Update: As of 4/4/14, the count is now up to 22. I've had 4 more friends announce on FB.
Update: 4/9/14, 24. The count is 24.
Update: As of 4/4/14, the count is now up to 22. I've had 4 more friends announce on FB.
Update: 4/9/14, 24. The count is 24.
No comments:
Post a Comment