Sunday, July 17, 2016

Motherhood is..

I've stumbled many times over the last year as I've sought to find my place in my stepkids lives and vice versa. I've had to learn them and they learn about me. My pride has had to die. My humility and perseverance and patience are daily tried. Children will challenge you and stretch you.

This week was tough. Thing #4 decided to threaten a little girl...one of his friends...at daycare. After a weekend of stern talking to and reminders all week, we made it through without anymore threats of violence. To him, he was playing. To me it means no more watching Walking Dead or Criminal Minds when he's in the room. Absorbant little sponge.

Then his sister had a field trip to the local sheriff's department through camp. One officer, admittedly wrongly, told a story that frightened the kids. It was inappropriate. One email, a phone call later it was straightened out. My mama bear instinct came out.

Thing #3 started out the week with a cold which she kindly shared with the household. With me and Thing #4 getting the worst of it. Thing #3 also decided to exercise her right to freedom of speech and said Oh my freaking God on the bus at camp which for her really sounds like the other F word. So she gets off the bus in trouble for possibly saying the F word.

Needless to say when I dropped them off for their weekend with mom, I was tired and a bit relieved. But also worried. Thing #4 had slept with us the night before his cough was so bad. I admittedly gave him a small dose of cough syrup to get him to settle (he's the size of a 4 year old, that counts right?). He was so miserable without meds. I slathered him down with Vicks too. Because these little people are with me most of the time, I hate sending them off somewhere when they're sick. I know their mom is more than capable of taking care of them...it's just I worry about them while they were gone.

Well off they went and I went to run all the  errands I'd been putting off. I returned and picked up some office supplies for work. I filled the van with gas,  cleaned it out a bit, then got Starbucks. I visited Chris at work to see him since I knew he'd be working late. I came home and went for a long needed run. I ate. I showered. I read. I was asleep by 10. Bliss.

Today I slept in. Chris headed off to work around 8 and I went back to bed. The lawn guys woke me up at 10:30... so off to the atm to get them their payment. Come back, it's pouring raining and lightning. I decide, Hey! Forget laundry. Let's go to the movies. So off to the island to the local theatre to see Finding Dory. Absolutely adorable and funny movie, btw. Just what I needed. Finished that and was.able to peruse a non kid Friendly gift shop. Bought 2 Christmas ornaments,  a banner and some guest napkins. Definitely will be going back to that store.

Came off the island...grabbed some food, then headed home to eat and nap. Managed to put some laundry in the dryer. Next thing I know, it's 7 pm and C is asking me what I'd like for take out from Longhorne.

Amazing. My husband for once got off work early! We cuddle on the couch, eat, turn Netflix on and bam....he's snoring. God the poor man is tired too. Working 6 days a week, 12+ hrs a.day will catch up to you.

So I wake him up enough to get him to go to bed.

Check my phone upstairs.

I have 2 calls and 4 texts from TM. She has to be to work at 7 am and wants me to pick the kids up from her house where her fiancé will be watching them. Oooookay.

It's 11 pm but I say sure! What else can I say? 7 am pickup from her house it is. She texts me the address and I'll be up in less than 6 hrs to go get my crew.

It was nice to have a break while it lasted. Looks like I'm back to a life of online grocery shopping, biking, laundry and responsibility of a mom. This is the life of a full time step mom. It's not for the faint of heart.

Tomorrow will be prep for the week. Dinner with the inlaws. Lunches, clothes, stripping linens and making up beds, cleaning and hopefully HOPEFULLY church. I miss church. But that's another story.

Married, working mom life of 4 stepkids. Not "my kids" but MY CREW. Don't mess with my H pack! Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment